Overall Score 7/10
Dean & Deluca - Bangkok on BumRes.com (For more pictures, menu and info)
There are three branches of Dean & Deluca in Bangkok. The largest one is at the Mahanakorn, the flagship and the first one. Its current location is in the Ritz Carlton Residence and the store is in the process of expanding; expected to finish by October this year. The expansion will make this headquarter 5 times more grand, to follow the mother location in New York.
For a restaurant, the space is not small but having divided into supermarket and the take out counter sure made the whole setting rather tight. The restaurant is a self service style; everyone orders at the counter, get an numbered tag, find a table, and the food will get served on the table. The food selection is mostly western style with a great variety of bakery and cakes, similar to other deli cafes in Bangkok. For the price, large portion food is a wonderful deal. The fact that there is no vat or service charge is great.
In this meal, we can separate the review in to beverages, main dishes, and bakery.
- New York Strawberry Soda + Ice Mint (95 บาท) : I wished is was more carbonated but the rich strawberry flavor is fantastic.
- Coffee Latte (90 บาท) : Standard quality latte feels like a coffee from a premium brand like Starbucks - not as great as some fancy cafes in Thonglor area.
- Ice Matcha with Red Bean Syrup (180 บาท) : I am a bit curious about the price of this cup. The price is twice higher than other drinks. I must admit that it is a delicious iced green tea. The matcha scent is prominent and the taste is well balanced, not too sweet and not bland. To green tea lovers, this one is recommended.
- Iced Latte (100 บาท) : Similar to the hot latte, nothing to get excited about. I mean it is a good coffee, a kind that can be found anywhere. Good for local office people, no need to travel across town for it.
We have four dishes on this visit.
- Salmon Teriyaki - 250 Baht : The restaurant told me that this one is the best seller. What it is is a salmon fillet, seared on the surface and the inside is still rare. On top is the teriyaki sauce and on the side is the salad of romaine lettuce with vinaigrette dressing to contrast the rich flavors of the teriyaki sauce. In my opinion, the salmon is awkward, it could be more charred on the outside. But the salmon and salad really go great together. Not bad for a best seller.
- New York waffle Tower (New York style waffle layered with fresh berries, creme anglais and mixed berry coulis - 250 Baht) : This is a one fancy waffle with lots of strawberry sauce. The texture of the waffle is slightly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. For a guy like me it is hard to finish a sweet main dish like this, I usually prefer the savory dishes. The girls might like it more. Especially Thai girls who are so crazy with desserts.
- BLT Sandwich (Smoked bacon, beefsteak tomato, iceberg frillace cross lettuce on toasted Kraftkorn with aioli - 190 Baht) : For this one, the first impression is amazed by the size. It is probably three times bigger than Big Mac. The meat and the fresh veg in it are delicious. The toast though, a bit thick and touch. So don't let it sit, eat it while it is warm.
- Maple Ham & Cheddar Cheese Pancake (Maple glazed ham, sharp cheddar cheese, emmental cheese sauce & microgreens on a whole grain savory pancake - 190 Baht : This menu is the unique breakfast created by Dean & Deluca. The base is pancake, then a fried egg. toppings are diced ham and microgreens. I had this menu in the afternoon and it is really delicious. I bet it would be perfect to have this in the morning with a cup of black coffee.
- Rainbow Cake - 165 Baht : Colorful cake it is, looking delightful and delicious. The taste is amazing. Sweet flavor is contrasted with the sour.
- Chocolate Strawberry Crepe Cake - 145 บาท : This crepe cake is fabulous, I must say. I like the strawberries stuffed in between layers. The real chocolate sauce poured atop is a highlight. Girls will love it.
Feel free to leave a comment and you can also contact me via channels below.